Sunday 11 November 2018

Short Story: Black and Wealthy Lottery

Sutapa Bhattacharjee
Scale 1 Officer
Salary: 70,000
Status: Married
Education Details: M.Sc, Statistics.
I filled up my particulars very proudly for an internal examination. I knew I would crack the examination. All throughout my student life and career I had always made to the top ten lists.  Success had never betrayed me. I proved myself capable at every step, but still I could not figure out why I fumbled in my personal front after marriage. A free bird got caged, I thought. Was my marriage a cage? Or, was I a part of social stigma?
I sat in my office half heartedly. I could not concentrate on my work. I skipped meetings and returned to my home early.
My son, Ankur had already returned from the school. He was doing his homework when I entered. My daughter was playing with my mom. My father was taking a rest after lunch and my mother was there in the drawing room with my kids. She was having her granny time.  She was supervising Ankur's homeworks and at the same time taking care of Ananya. I had employed a lady who looked after my daughter's needs. My mother just gave her instructions how to do.
I smiled at them and walked to my room. I kept the official stuff on the couch and headed towards the bathroom.
I took a cold shower for 5 minutes. I put on the bath towel and walked barefoot to my room. As I stood in front of the mirror, I saw myself. Tears rolled down. And once again, I took the train 5 years back.
April 28, 2013, I got married to Arindam Banerjee.  Arindam worked in an MNC as a sales executive. He was a B. Com graduate.
His family accepted our proposal sent in Bharat matrimony. After a few initial discussions, we met. He was a good guy and his family seemed to be simple. He was the only son. He stayed with his parents in Kolkata. As I was working with a state government organisation, he would try to shift to my place, Guwahati. Arindam was tall, thin and white complexioned guy. I never thought he would say yes to me. But he did. Neither did he match up with my expectations, but still I too said yes. I only knew how many times I was rejected. So, finally I, a dark complexioned healthy girl, fortunately married a handsome guy.
After marriage, I found Arindam to be supportive, caring and good husband. He was unable to shift to Guwahati but he visits me twice every month. Sometimes, he would come every weekend. I too visited him and spent my holidays at his home, Kolkata. Life had been the way I dreamt, supportive husband and good in laws.  Whenever I went to Kolkata, we spent most of the time indoors. He did not like to visit his relatives or his friends. I found him introvert.  But he was always good to me.
One year passed. On 4th May, 2014, his cousin sister's marriage was fixed at Silchar. I was excited to attend the wedding. She was close to me. I was planning to attend when Arindam told he would be on an official tour and would attend on the way. He added further that it would be difficult for him to take me along. I tried to make him understand, but despite of this, he did not take me along. I was hurt, but I ignored.
4th June, 2015, we were blessed with a baby son. They named him Ankur as my husband's name to have A as the first initial. Everything was beautiful in my life except social in acceptance. I never had the opportunity to meet his friends and go out for a get together.
Two years later, I was again blessed with a baby girl. She made my life complete. As expected, she too was named by the first initial of her dad.
I had two lovely kids,  Good husband, in laws and everything. Yet, I was not accepted completely. Sometimes,  I felt I was a good deal for Arindam. I had government Service and his job and career got a mortgage. As time rolled by, this feeling was becoming more firm. I always wondered how could a guy like Arindam accept to marry me?  I was rejected 30 times by different guys. They never stated the reason. They only said we would contact later,  after they would meet me face to face. But their calls never came and my parents wait never ended. So, when Arindam said yes,  we were happy. I was happy that someone gave value to my qualifications, my job and for what a person I was and not to outer beauty. I kept Arindam in high regards. But with time, I was seeing another face of him, the reality.
I was lost. My daughter's cry brought me back to my present world. I quickly put on my trouser and tee and rushed downstairs.
I took her from my mother's lap. My son rushed to me.
'Mom, see this is a lottery ticket. Grandpa gave me. He said that we would win if luck favor us.'
I nodded with a smile.
And then I thought, 'Am I not a wealthy lottery ticket for Arindam?'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: It's Winter

It's winter I feel now, As I lay down still Inside the blanket, My fingers shiver with cold, My eyes are swollen- Waiting for the...