Saturday 11 November 2017

Short story: Move On

11th Avenue is one of my favorite hangouts. I love the ambience, food and every small thing of the Cafe. The cafe is even the best place to go on a date with someone. The dim lights and the music make it more romantic. But the best part is the extension of the Cafe- a balcony sort of.  People generally sit there to booze and smoke,  while I love to see the beauty of Dighalipukhri as the night befalls.
This evening, I promise one of my friends to meet there. And as usual,  I reach on time while my friend is stuck somewhere in the traffic. As it is one of the crowded cafe in the city, so I think of at least booking a table for two. Unfortunately, I find no vacant place inside. So, I just pop in to check if there is any in the extended portion. I find none there too. Suddenly, my eyes catch a sight of a girl in the corner sitting alone and sipping her coffee. I walk up to her and politely ask her, "May I sit for some time until I find an empty table?"
She just nods. I smile at her and take a seat opposite to her. She completely ignores my presence and continues sipping her coffee. Her eyes fix on the door. Seeing her so restless,  I ask her if she is waiting for someone.
"Does it actually matter if I say yes or no?" she says bluntly.
I am a bit startled the way she reacted at my words.
So I choose to be silent.
She may be reading my face. So, she opens her mouth again giving me the shock I could ever apprehend.
"I am indeed waiting for someone who has asked me to move on. WTF move on,  when his memories lay scattered everywhere. You know, he asked me out on a date. He made me feel special. He made me fall in love with him. And now when I do,  he left. He said our horoscope did not match. Horoscope, do hell with it.  He lost interest and now he brought up this issue. Gosh! Stupid me. I wished I listened to my instincts. Tell me,  how to move on? This cafe and this particular corner,  I have been with him a few weeks back. Will this cafe move on? Bull shits. He might be dating someone with whom his horoscope had matched. But look at me, what  have I become?  Crying for him, wishing for a miracle. Never fall so in love with hopeless brats. Otherwise, one morning you will get up and realise that you have to go on a journey all alone waiting for the train you want to board. And unfortunately, the train will never arrive at your junction."
She put the coffee mug down and walk towards the exit without turning back once.
I sit there half shocked and half angry at my friend for being late.
Her words left me in a complete mess. I reach out my hand for my bag where I always carry a pen and a diary. I imagined what she could be probably thinking while sipping her coffee with her eyes fixed on the door. He and his memories, I thought.

                          I sat-
             With a cup of coffee
             In that corner-
             Where we sat,
             The last time we met...
                        I sat-
             Facing that chair
                      You sat,
             Reliving my past,
                      Or,  yours?
             I was not sure-
             As my past
             Still,  walked hand-in-hand,
             With my present...
                         I sat,
                 Sipping coffee,
                 All alone
                 In that busy cafe...
                          Thinking,
                How you changed?
                So fast,
                          Like the seasons...
                          Crushing the flower,
                That was about to bloom...
                            I sat,
               With my eyes fixed,
                            At the door -
               With a hope
                            That you would knock
                For you promised
                To spread
                The fragrance of the flower
                That you loved...
                But you peeped in
                Like the other day,
                Letting the flower
                To be blown away
                By the wind
                And you just walked away,
                Crushing the petals
                Of your favorite flower
                With your own steps...

And as I pen her thoughts, many questions ring in my mind. Can we actually forget someone so easily?  Are we able to forget our childhood days? Don't we remember the person whenever we check in to a restaurant with whom we came last time?  How can we move on?  How can people say just move on? I just want to ask don't  you have memories that cross  your memory lane in silence? If so, she is right...
Do comment below what you think... 

2 comments:

  1. "move on" .... "it won't b too difficult to forget" ...
    They say quite easily....
    I just wish they would gv us a guide book on these to help us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...
      It would be so nice of them to show us the way...
      I just need the answer how?

      Delete

Poem: It's Winter

It's winter I feel now, As I lay down still Inside the blanket, My fingers shiver with cold, My eyes are swollen- Waiting for the...